FHE board makeover!

FHE board makeover!
It’s used every week (ok, most weeks) but the other day I was looking at our Family Home Evening board and decided it needed to be updated. (I made it 7 years ago.) Here it is:

Names shaded to protect the innocent 🙂

Navy blue edge, white front, red hearts, black words/names, all glazed with gold metallic paint. There used to be four small hearts in the middle. You can see one lying on the shelf with the board. The other two are in my sewing desk. Never did bother to put them back on. Anyway, I was going to replace the board entirely and go with a completely different style altogether but my family really likes this one and it works for us so I decided to just update it a bit. I removed all the Velcro from the hearts and the board:

I was going over the board with Goo Gone to get rid of the remaining adhesive from the Velcro and all the words came off! So apparently I didn’t use the same stuff for the words as I did for the grid. I bet I used a Sharpie for the grid lines and a paint pen for the words. It was 7 years ago and I didn’t document anything crafty then, except for when I finished it:

Anyway, I taped up the front and spray painted the edge of the board black.

Before

After

Then I untaped the front, used the same tape to tape up the sides and painted the face Krylon Satin Almond.

Before

After

So then I sanded down the hearts in hopes that the paint will cover the red without issue.

I spray painted the hearts the same color as the face of the board:

Then I taped the front of the hearts up with painters tape and painted the sides (and backs by default) of the hearts black.

Before

After

It was easy to choose a front and back as you can see.

The hubs thought our pictures decoupaged on the hearts would be fun to do. So I searched for pictures to use. Then in Photo Shop I sized the pictures into 2.5 inch squares, making sure our faces were in the middle. I printed the pictures onto tissue paper (tutorial for that here!) I decided to sand the edges of the hearts, for the rustic feel we all love.

Next I decoupaged the tissue to the hearts (a tutorial for that here). While the hearts were drying, I added the grid lines to the board with black Sharpie again, since it held up so well last time 🙂

Ignore my chipped polish 🙂

Next I cut the jobs out of black vinyl with my Pazzles. I adhered them and the Velcro to their proper places.

At this point I remembered to sand the edges of the board so it too had the rustic look like the hearts. Then I cut out the center lettering out of black vinyl and adhered it. And lastly, I put the other half of the Velcro on the back of the hearts when they were dry, and here’s the complete after:

Not too bad! Not quite what I envisioned on the outset but I think it turned ok. Not really happy with the center. There’s always next time though 🙂

Final before and after:

Have a super duper weekend!